Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Damaged Goods, CH 6

He didn’t wait for my answer. Instead, he dropped his credit card on the table and returned to his bedroom. As I stood confused, Amber appeared jubilant, and I assumed it was at the idea of having Talon pick of the afternoon's expenses. I was frozen, staring down at the ominous temptation. It was more than just a credit card, this I knew. It was a promise, somehow. A commitment I wasn’t sure I wanted, but knew I needed. Looking back on it, I can see it was the turning point, the place in which all future choices were based. Amber stared at me, waiting impatiently for my response with a giddy expression on her face. I was in a strange town, in a strange home, with strange people who were offering me a safe haven. I should have walked away, I know that now, but I had no money, no family of any kind and these people were offering friendship and help. It was in that moment, the moment my fingers reached for the silver card, that I heard your faint voice, but it was too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment